Review Metrics & Annual Reports
FY11-12 Annual Report - Procurement Work Group
Co-Chairs:Dave Kolsom, Campus Procurement, and Greg Van Riper, Medical Center Procurement
Build economically viable and environmentally preferable purchasing practices in support of the UCSF sustainability initiatives.
- For product categories that have available ENERGY STAR rated products, the University will focus efforts on purchasing these products consistent with the needs of UC researchers.
- For all electronic equipment, the supplier will deliver the items to the University with energy efficient and conservation features enabled (EPEAT labeled)
- The university will phase out the use of virgin paper and adopt a minimum standard of 30 percent PCW recycled content paper for all office supplies.
FY 2011-2012 Accomplishments
- Continued expansion of warehouse-stocking and cross-docking program for high-traffic to lab supplies and janitorial supplies to reduce truck traffic on campus and encourage use of recycled paper (Aspen 30 with 30 percent post-consumer waste recycled content).
- Expand warehouse cross-docking program to include office supplies to reduce truck traffic on campus.
- Implement the use of re-usable totes for the delivery of office supplies to reduce the use of corrugated containers.
- Submitted and awarded the USEPA Grant with University of California, Berkeley to develop software tool to flag 3rd party certified green products in BearBuy to encourage the selection of greener office supply alternatives.
- Worked with two SFSU student teams on EPS Recylcing and Evaluation of Shredding Options
- all Dell models are now Gold rated per EPEAT environmental standards, and the updated models are now 5.2 Energy-Star Enabled.
- 100% PCW 30% recycled automatically
- 50% PCW automatically
- 100% B&W remanufacturer cartridges through Office Max. 2800 cartridges/yr …2 years
- Color cartridges were trialed with some success. Last year until recently due to quality issues.
- 3 full 50 yd trailers of reusable totes Professional Hospital Supplies. 4 years eliminating cardboard
- Efforts to minimize Fed Ex Express (overnight) maximize Fed Ex Ground 3-7 business days. Zone optimization to reduce shipping distances and reduce travel. 23-26,000 totes/mo
- E-procurement system, Procurement Materials Management and third party Global Healthcare eXchange (GHX) has reducing paper 90% to electronic or e-fax for paper.
- Conversion to reusable totes for office supplies through Office Max.
Set up standing meeting with MC Procurement to identify sustainability projects
- Percentage of sustainable product spend of total purchases
- Measure percentage of paper purchased with PCW recycled content
- Number of tote deliveries.
- Limited budget and need for seed money to initiative new programs.
- Inability to restrict purchases to sustainable options due to personal preferences and department spend with non-agreement suppliers not vetted for sustainable profile (i.e. purchasing virgin, non-PCW recycled paper from non-agreement suppliers).
Related Links and Resources
Website Stories –
Free CRT Replacement and 50% Refrigerator Rebates!
Print Management Program
Ten LivingGreen Resolutions
Consolidated Delivery Reduces Emissions
Kick the Bottled Water Habit – Check out UCSF’s New Reusable Water Bottle Refilling Stations