Review Metrics & Annual Reports
FY11-12 Annual Report - Zero Waste Work Group
Tri-Chairs: Susan Bluestone and Adam Schnirel, Campus Recycling Coordinators
Dave Giovannini, Medical Center Hospitality Manager
- To incorporate best practices in recycling, composting, and re-use at UCSF facilities.
- 50 percent waste diversion by June 30, 2008
- 75 percent waste diversion by June 30, 2012
- Zero waste by 2020
- Expanded co-mingled recycling and compost in Operating Rooms and Surgery Department break rooms.
- Expanded pilot In-Patient Room recycling program to include 8-Long.
- Converted to 100% recycled content paper towels at all facilities.
- Expanded comprehensive recycling program practices throughout Osher Center.
- Implemented micro-fiber mops; Implemented use of micro-fiber rags to eliminate the use of paper cleaning wipes throughout the Osher Center.
- Set up kitchenette food compost program and restroom paper towel composting in: Buchanan Dental Clinic, Lucia Child Care Center, Hunters Point, and the Mission Center Building.
- Increased the weight of food compost to over 830 tons this fiscal year.
- Expanded scrap metal recycling program so crafts workers (plumbers, building maintenance workers) now direct scrap metal to recycling; 54+ tons recovered this fiscal year.
- Increased the solid waste diversion rate from 61% to 63% from FY10-11 to FY11-12.
- Completed educational recycling video to train all members of the UCSF community on how to correctly recycle, compost, re-use, and reduce waste.
- Incorporated the use of recycling video as part of UCSF annual staff safety trainings across the campus and medical center.
- Increase the volume of materials recycled, composted, and re-used by an additional 5%.
- Complete educational recycling video to train all members of the UCSF community on how to correctly recycle, compost, re-use, and reduce waste.
- Incorporate the use of recycling video as part of UCSF annual staff safety trainings.
- Expand the use of micro-fiber rags to eliminate the use of paper wipes in more buildings.
Related Links and Resources
UCSF Campus Recycling Program
UCSF Medical Center Recycling Program
UCSF Sustainability Office
Greening The OR
Recology Hosts their Annual Art & Wine Tasting Event
Ten 2012 LivingGreen Resolutions
Five Tips for Greening Your Next Meeting or Event
UCSF’s Recycling Coordinators: Promoting Best Practices in Recycling and Waste Management
Sustainability at UCSF: Building Momentum Toward Sustainable Practices